Feeding the Homeless
Christ Lutheran Church participates in the Winter Shelter Program held at the VFW on 7th Street. Formed into teams of four to six, we serve over 500 meals to homeless people from the Santa Cruz community We provide sides to augment the main meal. In addition to it being a benefit to our guests at the VFW shelter the members who participate receive new friendships and shared experiences beyond seeing each other on Sundays.
The need does not end here. Homelessness exists year round and these people need our help.
Did you Know?
· Over half a million people are homeless
· One quarter of homeless people are children
· Tens of thousands of veterans are homeless
· Domestic Violence is a leading cause of homelessness among women
· Many people are homeless because they cannot afford rent
· There are fewer places for poor people to rent than before
· In the last few years millions have lost their homes
· There isn't as much government assistance as you may think
· One in five homeless people suffers from an untreated mental illness
· Many Cities are increasingly making homelessness a crime
How can I help?
Here are just a few of the many local organizations providing services to the homeless population that need your help!
· Homeless Services Center: https://www.santacruzhsc.org/
· Homeless Garden Project: http://www.homelessgardenproject.org/
· Walnut Avenue Family & Women’s Shelter: http://www.wafwc.org/
40“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ -Matthew 25:40